“Each space has no more to stay behind a window, but in front of each window it has to be now a new door, opening to a very large balcony-wintergarden.Philippe Vassal - Architect
At this moment, the relation between inside-outside totally changes.”
It's all about connection...
Buildings and their exterior spaces should function as a whole while also providing a strong connection between the inside and the outside.
Create visually open spaces and make use of materials to support continuity.
- For example, using the same floor pavement on the ground floor and extending it to the exterior space.
- Use exterior vegetation that can be viewed from the inside, so users may be inspired by contemplating nature.
Provide connected community areas between the building and exterior spaces, such as:
- A shaded terrace with flexible seating adjacent to the cafeteria.
- Open, outdoor lounge areas that are contiguous to indoor leisure rooms.
- Develop surrounding exterior spaces that relate directly to the use of buildings.
- Create visual and material connections between the inside and the outside.